Creating a New App
The Studio enables Studio Users to create apps, which are delivered as Progressive Web Apps (PWAs). An app can be as simple or robust as the use case requires, ranging from a straightforward conference lead capture app to a dynamic wayfinding app.
All apps are built in the Studio. Before creating a Studio’s first app, users must create an App Collection.
How to Create a New App
- Select which App Collection the new app should be stored in, by clicking on the Collection in the left-hand column.
- Click on the green circle with the + icon in the bottom right corner of the screen. A model window will appear.
In the model window:
- App Name - This is a required field. This name is for internal Studio use only, appearing within App Collections. This name is not exposed to users of the published app. The App Name can be edited after the app is created. The App Name must be 35 characters or less.
- Description - This is an optional field. It is intended to provide Studio Users with additional detail about the app. The description is not exposed to users of the published app. The description can be edited after the app is created.
- Text Activation Keyword - This is a required field. It is the keyword used for the app’s text activation. It is the foundation for the app’s activations: the keyword sets the text activation, appends the app’s link activation, and creates a unique QR Code tied to the appended link activation. While the text activation keyword can be edited at any time, it will cause the original activations to no longer work.
- The keyword is limited to a combination of 3-16 lowercase letters and numbers. Symbols are not supported in the keyword and keywords cannot start with a number.
- The keyword must be unique from other text activation keywords used by other apps within the Studio. If a keyword already in use is entered, an error message will appear.
- App Collection - The field will default to the current open App Collection. To select a different App Collection, click on the dropdown menu to see all App Collections. The app can be moved to another App Collection after the app is created.
- Default Device - This sets which preview type will be the default view while creating the app. The field will default to Phone. To select a different default device view, click on the dropdown menu and select from Phone, Tablet, or Desktop.
- Create App from Starter Kit - This is an optional field. Studio users can easily create a new app from a Starter Kit template. These apps cover a range of use cases that can be easily edited and customized to your specific needs. Learn more about Starter Kits.
- Copy Existing App - This is an optional field. To copy an existing app into this new app, choose from a list of app names in the dropdown menu. Only apps within the same Studio can be copied. Apps within different Studios, even those under the same Command Center, cannot be copied between Studios.
Free Plan accounts are assigned a randomized keyword that cannot be edited. You’ll need to upgrade your subscription to a paid plan to gain access to create a custom text activation keyword. Pro Tip: Consider your unique use case and how people are likely to interact with and activate the app. Apps built in the Studio will work across all device types, but seeing the design in the predominant version helps to optimize the UI/UX. Free Starter Kits are available in the dropdown to be added to a Studio at any time. Premium Starter Kits require a paid subscription plan of Standard, Professional, or Enterprise. Information about available Subscription Plans is available here.
- Click Create to add the App. Click Cancel to abandon the process.
- Upon clicking Create, the app editor will automatically open.